Butterfly House Child Advocacy Center
The Butterfly House Child Advocacy Center helps evaluate cases of suspected child maltreatment.
Evaluations are conducted by a range of professionals, including mental health providers, social workers, physicians, and members of law enforcement and child protective services.
The evaluation process consists of the following stages:
- Interview. A child with suspected abuse is interviewed by a sexual assault nurse examiner trained to conduct forensic interviews. The interview is recorded and can be observed through a closed-circuit television system by members of the multidisciplinary team involved in the case - which saves the child from repeating difficult details over and over.
- Physical examination. The child is examined and treated by pediatricians who are certified medical examiners. The pediatricians are assisted by a sexual assault nurse evaluator trained in the collection of forensic evidence.
- Counseling and other follow-up services. A social worker serves as victim advocate, assesses the psychosocial needs of the child and family, and makes appropriate referrals for follow-up services. Often the services arranged include counseling to enable the child and family to effectively process issues related to the reported abuse. The victim advocate also helps the child and family become familiar with the judicial process so they know what to expect as the case proceeds.
A primary focus during the initial interactions with the child is to conduct the evaluation in a pleasant, nonintimidating environment.
For more information, call (704) 984-4625 or email email@example.com
In this section
- Behavioral Health Services
- Breast Health
- Cancer Services
- Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Child Advocacy
- Disease Management & Health Education
- Emergency Services
- Lab Services
- Mother and Baby Center
- Nutrition Therapy
- Occupational Health Services
- Pain Care
- Rehabilitation Services
- Sleep Medicine
- Special Events & Catering
- Stroke Center
- Urgent Care
- Wound Care & Hyperbaric Medicine