Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Cardiac rehabilitation can help people with heart disease regain their health and return to the activities they enjoy. At Carolinas HealthCare System Stanly, our cardiac rehabilitation team works closely with program participants and their personal physicians to develop individual treatment plans that support optimal recovery.
The rehabilitation staff consists of physicians, registered nurses, exercise specialists, a registered dietitian, a psychologist and a vocational rehabilitation counselor.
About the Program
Participants enter Carolinas HealthCare System Stanly's cardiac rehabilitation program through a referral from a healthcare provider. Each participant's cardiologist and primary care provider are given progress updates at regular intervals throughout the program.
Our cardiac rehabilitation program includes the following components:
Assessment. Upon admission, participants undergo an assessment of their medical, dietary, psychological, exercise and vocational status. Based on this information, an individualized plan is prepared for each participant, including an exercise program, as well as nutritional, psychological and vocational counseling.
Exercise. Participants are given individualized exercise plans. One-hour, physician-supervised classes are held three times a week. Response to exercise is carefully monitored. Participants build slowly and progressively toward 10 minutes of stretching and strength-building exercises, 35 to 40 minutes of aerobic activity, and 10 minutes of stretching and relaxation.
Education. Participants and their families are provided with educational opportunities to help them learn about cardiovascular disease and make lifestyle changes to modify risk factors and help keep the disease from getting worse.
Stress management. Participants can learn relaxation techniques and strategies for coping with stressful situations.
Therapy sessions are held three times weekly at the Stanly County Family YMCA located at 427 N. First St. in Albemarle. Most insurance plans cover cardiac rehabilitation.
For more information, call (980) 323-4586.
Pulmonary rehabilitation is a program that helps improve your breathing, overall health and strength. At Carolinas HealthCare System Stanly, a team of medical professionals who are specially trained to treat people with lung disease will help you during this process. With the team's help, you'll learn about your condition and gain skills to help you manage it.
Carolinas HealthCare System Stanly's pulmonary rehabilitation program includes:
- Exercise sessions that are designed for people with chronic lung disease and that will help you increase endurance, strength and flexibility (you may walk, ride a stationary bike, or do exercises in a chair)
- Education sessions, where you will learn about your lung condition, medications and how to prevent infection
- Support groups, where you talk and learn from other people with chronic lung diseases
- Breathing and relaxation techniques to help reduce shortness of breath
Benefits of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Carolinas HealthCare System Stanly's pulmonary rehabilitation program lasts 12 weeks. However, the benefits will be ongoing as long as you continue to use the skills learned.
At the end of our program you will:
- Do more things that you enjoy
- Improve your strength, endurance and independence
- Perform daily activities, such as household tasks, with less shortness of breath
- Understand your symptoms and medications, which can mean fewer emergency room visits
- Learn to relax and not panic when you feel short of breath
- Quit smoking. This is the most important change you can make for your health
- Get answers to your healthcare questions
Pulmonary rehabilitation sessions are held three times weekly at the Stanly County Family YMCA, located at 427 N. First St. in Albemarle. Most insurance plans cover pulmonary rehabilitation.
For more information, call (980) 323-4586.
In this section
- Behavioral Health Services
- Breast Health
- Cancer Services
- Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Child Advocacy
- Disease Management & Health Education
- Emergency Services
- Lab Services
- Mother and Baby Center
- Nutrition Therapy
- Occupational Health Services
- Pain Care
- Rehabilitation Services
- Sleep Medicine
- Special Events & Catering
- Stroke Center
- Urgent Care
- Wound Care & Hyperbaric Medicine